Friday, August 8, 2008

Gangaji on "Facing Death"

A couple of days ago I learned about a most remarkable piece through my friend and faculty member at Daytona Beach Community College that's available for viewing, on line. It is called "Facing Death," and in it, Gangaji, an awakened woman shares her truth about the Gift of Death and Grief in a powerful way. After an introduction, she sits with half a dozen people who are in some kind of deep pain to allow them the space to be with that pain. When you have some time, I highly recommend that you view it here.

Gangaji was born in Texas in 1942, into a noncommunicative alcoholic family. She grew up in Mississippi without a happy childhood. Even after she moved to S.F. as an adult, she continued searching for truth, and a teacher who could point her in the right direction. Finally, her prayers were answered in 1990 -- 48 years after her birth -- when she met Poonjaji, a disciple of Ramana Marharshi, in India. Her new teacher pointed out that she herself was "freedom" and "truth." This realization and looking into her new teacher's eyes transformed Gangaji.

Following the Advaita, or nondualistic tradition, Gangaji directs her students to ask again and again "Who Am I?" To be quiet, and fully present in the moment. To be willing to surrender wholeheartedly the sense of personal identification, acquisition, and doing. To stop trying and instead, not go anywhere -- the secret of going deeper. There is nothing to accomplish. All that is asked of us is to BE, in the current, present time, attending to what is happening right now.

When I encountered Gangaji online, I was deeply moved. I feel as if I have found my teacher and mentor. Thank you John, and thank you Gangaji, for the gifts you offer me at this time in my life. May the Gift of Death and Grief show you who you really are -- a beautiful Child of the Universe!

In Love and Light, Dancing Heart~~~

No comments: