Saturday, October 20, 2007

All Our Stuff!

I have a confession to make: I'm most grateful for the move/transformation I'm involved in just now as it is forcing me to sift through all the "stuff" I have. It's way too much for one household! I'm in the process of weeding through everything, but it takes time and effort. How much easier it would be if I were less encumbered. I'm reminded of a friend of mine who also grew up in Japan and then lived in India for a time. She said that one person only needed 2 boxes full of stuff that they could pack up and move -- at short notice.

Recently, I was at a neighborhood bookstore and wow, there's so much "stuff" in the bookstores, too! We Americans sure do have a lot of STUFF. I find myself reflecting on my daughter telling me about a conversation she overheard in which two men were having a talk about religion: One of them referred to the fact that we all have "spiritual cancer." Interesting analogy for the traditional word "sin"... I guess one could say that sometimes our glut of material possessions does get in the way and creates barriers to our spiritual wellness. What is it that gets in the way for you to move forward in a good way? What do you need to clear out of your household to feel less encumbered and more at ease to take the next step in your life?

On a lighter note, at the bookstore I found a most wonderful new book: It's called eat, pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I started browsing the pages and found it beautifully written and "choreographed," using the numerology of prayer beads. Elizabeth traveled to three different countries -- Italy, India, and Indonesia -- in one year, and shares a rich collection of stories from her encounters around the world. It looks like one of those books that strengthens and enriches, especially reminding us that in the end, LOVE Is All That Matters.

No comments: