Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Hospice Work/Play IS the Work/Play for Our Times!

The more I reflect and pay attention to my life and the world around me these days, the more I realize that what we need in our world could be called "hospice work." Most of us are carrying around more inner grief and "junk" with us than we are aware of at any given time. If not personal grief, there is the collective grief of wars faught, abuse and torture perpetrated -- the underbelly and shadow-side of life that is difficult to escape these days.

It is my personal experience that the more I become aware of my grief and express and release it, the more free and whole I become so as to be able to live more fully in the Present Moment. Not too long ago, I discovered a very deep grief-and-betrayal pattern in my life that had gradually shut down my heart. After this, I believe it became habitual for me to live and operate predominantly in my head -- and in judgment -- more of the time than I care to admit. Only as this reality came into my awareness have I been able to gradually release the pain and grief (and the old pattern) and begin to open up my heart (Love and Joy!) again. (No accident, I guess, that Spirit gave me the name "Dancing Heart" some years ago.)

Therefore, the next time you become aware of a grief, betrayal pattern, or old wound, I invite you to not push it away. Rather, be curious. Invite it in, befriend it, and see what wisdom it might have to share with you. It could be the catalyst to re-open your heart. As we know, the heart, especially the Sacred Heart that connects us to the Oneness of All, is full of grace and wisdom; it is also the Seat of Love.

I've been reading a powerful book by Ken and Treya Wilber called Grace and Grit. In this moving work, Ken's beloved Treya tells about one of their spiritual teachers Da Free John, who encourages people to "practice the wound of love." The point is that the ego tends to want to avoid relationship. It reacts and contracts away from relationship, defending itself against what it sees as insults or hurts. If we can stop reacting, rejecting, and punishing others, we would be much better off. We must continue to love and keep from dramatizing a situation as betrayal, allowing ourselves to be vulnerable and "suffering ourselves to be wounded" (forgive!). This reminds me of the song sung by Mary Black, written by Steve Cooney, that I've included in my book at the end of Chapter 6 (Reflect), called "Bless the Road". It's a haunting, moving song that could uplift anyone who's dying or "leaving" a relationship or place; but it's actually one of the most generous-hearted (parting) love songs I've ever heard. Another popular song along these lines that I've been hearing on the radio is "The Heart of the Matter", sung by India.Arie (originally Don Henley): "I think it's about forgiveness, forgiveness... Even if, even if you don't love me anymore."

[By the way, I learned today that Dr. Richard Bartlett of Matrix Energetics (see entry below) has just released his first book called Matrix Energetics, which promptly sold out on Amazon!]

Happy May, dancing heart

No comments: